Information for Patients and Visitors on the 1st Floor General Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
We hope the following information answers any questions you may have about personal belongings, visitation, phone calls, etc. We created this information page to orient you to our unit and to help with our first priority: providing a comfortable, therapeutic and confidential environment for our patients and visitors. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.
We are a smoke-free environment.
Nicotine patches and other nicotine resources are available
If you need to come to the Emergency Room for a crisis evaluation and you have time to prepare, please bring the following items, and note that all belongings will be searched:
- Insurance cards
- Medication lists
- Contact information for outpatient providers
- Slip on shoes (any laces will be removed by staff on the unit)
- Clothing for three to five days hospitalization, eyeglasses, robe and pajamas
- Coins or calling cards for the pay phone
For your convenience a washer and dryer are available for patient use. Any potentially dangerous or restricted items will be sent home or placed in a locked cabinet. Please note that the following items are not permitted:
- Tobacco products and smoking material
- Alcohol, drugs or non-approved medication
- Glass or metal cans
- Food or beverages
- Plastic containers
- Flowers with thorns (flowers in a wet paper towel are permitted, but no vases or containers)
- Stuffed animals
- Pillows and blankets
- Electronic devices (cell phones, laptops, etc.)
All items brought by visitors must be left at the desk so that nursing staff can search them.
- Monday through Friday 5 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 to 8 p.m. (this includes: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day)
- All other holidays 5 to 7 p.m.
- Two visitors at a time per patient
- Children visiting must be 12 years or older
- You may be visited by your clergy, lawyer or physician at any time
- Two pay phones are available for personal calls between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- PHONES WILL NOT BE IN USE DURING SCHEDULED GROUPS AND ACTIVITIES.
- Patients may receive calls at the following numbers: 860-678-9837 or 860-678-9945
Patients may send and receive mail at the hospital address:
Patient Name / First Floor
John Dempsey Hospital
263 Farmington Avenue
Farmington, CT 06030-2102