General Information for our Patients and Visitors on the Geri-Medical Psychiatric Unit
We hope the following information answers any questions you may have about personal belongings, visitation, phone calls, etc. We created this information page to orient you to our unit and to help with our first priority: providing a comfortable, therapeutic and confidential environment for our patients and visitors. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.
We are a smoke-free environment.
Nicotine patches and other nicotine resources are available upon request.
If you need to come to the Emergency Room for a crisis evaluation and you have time to prepare, please bring the following items, and note that all belongings will be searched:
- Insurance cards
- Medication lists
If you are being admitted you are permitted:
- Slip on shoes are preferable as all shoe laces will be removed
- Comfortable clothing for three to five days, robe and pajamas
- Toiletries (no razors, glass or sharp objects)
- Monday through Friday 5 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 1 to 2:30 p.m. 6:30 to 8 p.m.(this includes: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day)
- All other holidays 5 to 7 p.m.
- Two visitors per patient
- Children must be 12 years or older
- You may be visited by your clergy, lawyer or physician at any time
Exceptions to our visiting policy should be prearranged with the treatment staff. We will make every effort to accommodate individual circumstances that are therapeutic to our patients’ hospitalization.
All items for the patient should be left at the nursing desk. They must be searched by the staff first. Any potentially dangerous or restricted items will be sent home or placed in a locked cabinet. Please note that the following items are not permitted:
- Tobacco products and smoking material
- Glass or metal cans
- Alcohol, drugs or non-approved medication
- Cell phones, laptops and other electronic devices
- Plastic containers
- Flowers without thorns may be in wet paper towel but no vases or containers
- PHONES WILL NOT BE IN USE DURING SCHEDULED GROUPS AND ACTIVITIES
- Patients may receive calls at the following number: 860-679-3522
Patients may send and receive mail at the hospital address:
Patient Name / Third Floor
John Dempsey Hospital
263 Farmington Avenue
Farmington, CT 06030-1325